Colonel Steven J. Tittel is the Vice Commander, Third Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. Third Air Force exercises delegated authorities over assigned forces that include personnel management, General Courts Martial Convening Authority, and advising subordinate commands on requirements, programs, and budget. Third Air Force also works with its subordinate commands to ensure implementation and compliance with relevant policies and directives of the Department of Defense, Headquarters Air Force, and USAFE- AFAFRICA.
Colonel Tittel received his commission from the University of Kansas in May 1995. He is a command pilot with more than 2,300 hours in fighter aircraft, and has served as an instructor pilot, flight examiner, weapons officer, and operational test pilot in the F-16 and F-35. He has operational experience in Southwest Asia, and Far East Asia, including Operations Southern Watch, Northern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, and Inherent Resolve. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Tittel served as the Vice Commander of the 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea.
1995 Bachelor of Arts, Sociology, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kan.
1995 Bachelor of Arts, Criminal Justice, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kan.
2003 USAF Weapons Instructor Course, USAF Weapons School, Nellis, Air Force Base, Nev.
2009 Master of Military Arts and Science, Army Command and General Staff College, Ft Leavenworth, Kan.
2010 Master of Operational Arts and Science, School of Advanced Military Studies, Ft Leavenworth, Kan.
2016 Master of Airpower Strategy and Technology Integration, USAF Center for Strategy and Technology, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. January 1996-February 1997, student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. February 1997-June 1997, student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. June 1997-March 1998, student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. March 1998-May 1999, Assistance Operations Scheduler, 35th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
5. May 1999-March 2002, Flight Commander, 79th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. March 2002-December 2004, Weapons Officer, 14th and 13th Fighter Squadrons, Misawa AB, Japan
7. December 2004-May 2008, F-16 Division Commander, 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. May 2008-June 2009, student, US Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. June 2009-June 2010, student, US Army School of Advanced Military Studies, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
10. August 2010-June 2011, Director of Operations, 31st Test and Evaluation Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
11. June 2011-May 2013, Commander, 31st Test and Evaluation Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
12. June 2013-June 2014, Deputy Commander, 8th Operations Group, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
13. July 2014-July 2015, Chief, Strategy Division, 613th Air Operations Center, JB Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
14. August 2015-June 2016, Blue Horizons Fellow, Center For Strategy and Technology, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. July 2016-June 2017, Chief, Combat Plans Division, 607th Air Operations Center, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
16. July 2017-July 2018, Vice Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
17. August 2018-present, Vice Commander, Third Air Force, Ramstein AB, Germany
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,600
Aircraft Flown: T-3A, T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-16 A/B/C/D and F-35A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 09, 1995
First Lieutenant June 09, 1997
Captain June 09, 1999
Major Nov. 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2010
Colonel Dec. 1, 2016
(Current as of June 2019)