Chief Master Sergeant Anthony Cruz Munoz is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 3rd Air Force and 17th Expeditionary Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. Third Air Force is U.S. Air Forces in Europe's numbered air force for U.S. European Command and is comprised of nine active-duty wings across Europe. Air Forces Africa's numbered air force for U.S. Africa Command is 17th Expeditionary Air Force, and it oversees one air expeditionary wing. The two commands employ a combined headquarters staff and their respective wings to directly support and provide command and control capabilities to combatant commands during peacetime, contingency and wartime operations across a 104-country area of responsibility.
Chief Cruz entered the Air Force in September 1990. His background includes diverse duties within the personnel career field serving at the unit, base, Air Force Major Command, Joint Command, and Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center levels. He also served as Superintendent, First Term Airmen Center and Executive Assistant to the Wing Command Chief Master Sergeant and as a First Sergeant for four years with duties at the squadron and group level. Additionally, he was the Senior Enlisted Advisor in Afghanistan for the Defense Contracts Management Agency, leading personnel in 29 Forward Operating Bases. His assignments include bases in Florida, England, San Antonio, Qatar, Turkey, Guam, and Japan, as well as deployments in support of Operations ENDURING and IRAQI FREEDOM to Qatar, Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. Before assuming his current position, he served as the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field Florida. He assumed his current position June 2017.
1990 Personnel Specialist Journeyman Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1995 Airman Leadership School, RAF Feltwell, U.K.
2002 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
2002 Middle East Orientation, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2002 Dynamics of International Terrorism, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2003 Army Airborne Course, Fort Benning, Ga.
2004 Associate of Science Degree in Human Resources, Community College of the Air Force
2006 USAF First Sergeant Academy, Gunter AFB, Ala.
2009 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Gunter AFB, Ala.
2010 Contracting Apprentice Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2012 Associate of Science Degree in Contract Management, Community College of the Air Force
2015 AFSO21 Executive Leaders Course, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
2015 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2016 Keystone, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1990 – October 1990, Basic Trainee, 3707th Basic Military Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. October 1990 – December 1990, Student, Personnel Specialist Course, 344th Training Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. December 1990 - July 1992, Evaluations Specialist, Military Personnel Flight, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. July 1992 - July 1996, Assistant NCOIC, Unit Personnel, Assignments Specialist; Evaluations Specialist, Military Personnel Flight, RAF Mildenhall, U.K.
5. July 1996 - September 1999, NCOIC, Enlisted Maintenance Assignments; NCOIC, MAJCOM Training, HQ Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. September 1999 - November 2002, NCOIC, Crew Chief Enlisted Assignments; NCOIC, Airman Assignments Systems and Procedures; NCOIC, Joint/DOD Special Duty Assignments, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas (September 2011- March 2012, NCOIC J1, 64th Air Expeditionary Group, classified location)
7. November 2002 - November 2004, Superintendent, Joint Personnel Services Division, Special Operations Command Central, Camp As Sayliyah, Qatar
8. November 2004 - March 2005, Chief, Career Enhancements, Military Personnel Flight, 39th Mission Support Squadron, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey
9. March 2005 - August 2006, Executive Assistant to the Wing Command Chief/FTAC Superintendent, 39th Air Base Wing, Incirlik AB, Turkey
10. August 2006 - July 2008, First Sergeant, 36th Contingency Response Group, Andersen AFB, Guam
11. July 2008 - November 2008, First Sergeant, 36th Civil Engineering Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
12. November 2008 - August 2009, First Sergeant, 644th Combat Communications Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam
13. August 2009 - September 2010, First Sergeant, 6th Force Support Squadron and 6th Civil Engineer Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
14. September 2010 - September 2013, Superintendent and First Sergeant, 6th Contracting Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla. (September 2010 - October 2010, Student, Contracting Specialist Course, Lackland AFB, TX), (January 2012 - August 2012, Senior Enlisted Advisor, Defense Contracts Management Agency-Afghanistan, Camp Phoenix, Kabul, Afghanistan)
15. October 2013 - November 2014, Chief Enlisted Manager, 18th Contracting Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
16. November 2014 -May 2015, Interim Command Chief Master Sergeant, 18th Wing, Kadena AB, Japan
17. May 2015 – July 2016, Command Chief, 100th Air Refueling Wing, RAF Mildenhall, U.K
18. July 2016 – May 2017, Command Chief, 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
19. June 2017- Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 3rd Air Force and 17th Expeditionary Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters AF Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
AF Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
1993 Senior Airman Below-the-Zone
1993 100th Air Refueling Wing Personnel Manager of the Year
1994 100th Air Refueling Wing Personnel Manager of the Year
1995 100th Air Refueling Wing Airman of the Year
1996 Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School
1998 Air Force Special Operations Command, Personnel Manager of the Year
2004 Special Operations Command Central, Service Member of the Year
2005 United States Air Forces in Europe, First-Term Airman's Center Superintendent of the Year
2006 Top Graduate, USAF First Sergeant Academy
2010 Top Graduate, Mission Readiness Airmen Contracting Apprentice Course
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS:
Airman Basic September 21, 1990
Airman March 21, 1991
Airman First Class January 21, 1992
Senior Airman March 21, 1993
Staff Sergeant May 1, 1997
Technical Sergeant June 1, 2002
Master Sergeant July 1, 2005
Senior Master Sergeant December 1, 2009
Chief Master Sergeant June 1, 2013
(Current as of June 2017)